Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
Office: Bowden Hall 319
Additional Contact Information
Department of Philosophy
561 S. Kilgo Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University, 1988
Proposed and established the Institute for the History of Philosophy at Emory in 2006.
Co-Director, Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy (2008-2011; organizer of 50th Anniversary Conference)
Social ethics; philosophical psychology especially affects, self, community; cultural politics especially tragedy, comedy, music; new critical theory and social thought from intersectional, multicultural, and cross-species approaches
- Author of
- Interspecies Ethics (CUP 2014) was translated into Spanish as Etica Interespecies, ed. Alexandra Navarro (Buenos Aires, 2019)
- Uproarious: How Feminist and Other Subversive Comics Speak Truth,
coauthoredwith Julie Willett (University of Minnesota, Fall, 2019)
- Interspecies Ethics (Columbia University Press, 2014)
Ironyin the Age of Empire (Indiana, 2008)
- The Soul of Justice: Social Bonds and Racial Hubris (Cornell, 2001)
- Maternal Ethics and Other Slave Moralities (Routledge, 1995).
- Editor of
- Theorizing Multiculturalism (Blackwell 1998)
- Articles in
- Cultural Critique, Philosophy and Literature, Research in Phenomenology, and Journal in Speculative Philosophy.
- "The Seriously Erotic Laughter of Feminist Humor," co-authored with Julie Willett and Yael Sherman in Social Research: An International Quarterly Issue on Politics and Comedy 79, 1: 217-246 (Spring, 2012);
- "Affect Attunement in the Caregiver-Infant Relationship and Across Species" Press.philoSOPHIA 2.2 (Summer 2012);
- "Ground Zero for a Post-moral Ethics in J. M. Coetzee's Disgrace and Julia Kristeva's Melancholic" in Continental Philosophy Review (Winter, 2012).
- Coauthored essay "Going to Bed White and Waking Up Arab: On Xenophobia, Affect Theories of Laughter, and the Social Contagion of the Comic Stage" published in Critical Philosophy of Race vol. 2 no. 1, 2014 - More info here.
- Currently working on a book project, A Musciology of Everyday Life
Fellowships and Honors
- Co-Director, Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Executive Board, American Philosophical Association (Eastern, 2008-2010)
- Emory College Winship Distinguished Research Scholar (1998-2001)
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award at University of Kansas (1995)