Professor of Philosophy, Secondary Appointment as Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Department of Philosophy
Office: Bowden Hall 113
Additional Contact Information
Department of Philosophy
561 S. Kilgo Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin, 1998
- Critical Theory, Psychoanalysis, Feminist Philosophy, Democracy
- Author of
- Feminism: A Quick Immersion (Tibidabo Publishing, 2021).
- Fear of Breakdown: Politics and Psychoanalysis (Columbia, 2019)
- Democracy and the Political Unconscious (Columbia, 2008)
- Julia Kristeva (Routledge, 2003)
- Habermas, Kristeva, and Citizenship (Cornell, 2000)
- Co-editor of
- Democratizing Deliberation: A Political Theory Anthology (2012)
- Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy Special Issue on Feminist Engagements in Democratic Theory (Fall 2007)
- Standing with the Public:
theHumanities and Democratic Practice (Kettering, 1997)
- Recent articles and book chapters
- “Remembering as Reparation: Psychoanalysis and Historical Memory,” American Imago, Fall 2020.
- “Habermas and the Public Sphere,” Los Angeles Review of Books, August 11, 2019.
- “Refugees and the Right To Politics,” Refugees Now, edited by Kelly Oliver, Lisa Madura, and Sabeen Ahmed, London: Rowman and Littlefield, 2019.
- “Politics and the Fear of Breakdown,” in Transitional Subjects, edited by Amy Allen and Brian O’Connor, New York: Columbia University Press, August 2019.
- “Trump and the Paranoid-Schizoid Politics of Ideality,” Contemporary French and Francophone Studies, 21:5, 556-563, DOI: 10.1080/17409292.2017.1437705, March 2018.
- “Neoliberalism and Other Political Imaginaries,” Philosophy and Social Criticism, November 2017, Volume: 43 issue: 9, page(s): 911-931.
- “Dewey and Public Philosophy,” in the Oxford Handbook on Dewey, Cambridge: Oxford University Press, 2017.
Fellowships and Honors
- Senior Fellow, Fox Center for Humanistic Inquiry, Emory University, 2016-2017
- Laughlin Fellow, American College of Psychoanalysts, 2016
- Co-chair, the Public Philosophy Network
- Associate and
PrincipleInvestigator, deliberative democracy research, the Kettering Foundation
- Member of collaborative research project on Youth, New Media, and Citizenship, funded by the MacArthur Foundation and run by Professor Danielle Allen at the Institute for Advanced Study
- Advisory Board Member, the American Philosophies Forum
- Series Advisory Board Member, Indiana University Press American Philosophy Series
- Member of the American Philosophical Associationís Committee on Public Philosophy (2005-2008)
- Chair (beginning 2006) and Member (2005-2008), Advocacy Committee of the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Joseph P. Healey Endowment Research Grant,the University of Massachusetts Lowell (2002)
- Philosophy Department Teaching Award, University of Massachusetts Lowell (2001)
- Research Fellow, Center for Deliberative Polling, Department of Government, University of Texas at Austin, (1997-1998).
- Associate Editor of the Kettering Review