Grants in Philosophy
1. The APA maintains a large database of grants of relevance to philosophers:
APA Prizes and Fellowships
Non-APA Prizes, Grants, and Fellowships
2. Grants on APA pages recommended by Emory faculty and students:
American Academy in Rome
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship.
Ford Foundation Diss Completion
Fulbright (Emory internal deadline in August)
Mellon/ACLS Diss Completion (Emory internal deadline in October)
National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship
National Science Foundation
Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant in the “Science, Technology, and Society Program” supports humanistic research.
Robert N. Ho Family Foundation in Buddhist Studies Dissertation Fellowship
Social Science Research Council
Mellon International Dissertation Research Fellowship.
3. Other recommended grants not listed on the APA pages:
American Association of University Women Dissertation Fellowship
The American Friends of Marbach
The Council of European Studies (CES)
The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund
Applicants must apply through the Graduate School.
Fulbright-Hays (not to be confused with Fulbright)
Non-European philosophy in non-European locations.
Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy Grant Program
4. For students seeking sixth year funding, see also:
5. External Fellowships and Grants:
6. Non-Completion Fellowships:
CLIR/Mellon Fellowships (Not Currently Accepting Applications)